Twice-a-week garbage collection (Monday and Thursday) for the Barrier Island, including Pelican Island, will begin the week of prior to Memorial Day and ends Labor Day. There will be no twice-a-week collections on the mainland. If you have any questions about your collection day call 732-255-1000, ext. 8101.
- Do not mix recyclables and garbage.
- Place containers at curbside by 6:30 a.m. and remove by 9 pm. of your collection day.
- Never mix hazardous materials with trash.
- The Township will not provide curbside pick up of construction/demolition debris.
Curbside Collections with Automated Garbage Collections (Robo Cans Areas)
- The Robo containers must be in the roadway with the wheels and hinge facing toward the house. No bags or trash should be placed outside of the Robo container.
- Robo containers should be placed a minimum of four feet away from vehicles, receptacles, or other objects in order to facilitate proper pickup by the mechanical equipment.
- Do not place anything in Robo can that will stick out and cause the lid not to shut.
- Please do not place anything on top of the Robo containers at any time.
- Households that generate more non-recyclable garbage than can be contained in one Robo container should consider purchasing an additional Robo container. Excess materials may be brought to the Recycling Convenience Center twice-a-month.
- Two additional sanitation Robo containers (for a total of three), can be purchased for $100 each, cash or checks only. Call 732-255-1000, ext. 8188 for information. Township issued cans remain the property of Toms River Township and must stay at the address to which they are assigned. Department employees will maintain Robo cans issued by the Department at no cost to residents. If can is lost or stolen, it is the resident's responsibility to pay for a replacement can.
- Robo trucks cannot lift commercially purchased cans properly. They are too small for the grabber. They are too flimsy and they slip and/or get damaged by the truck. Neither the Township nor the Department will be responsible for damage which may occur to privately purchased garbage cans.
Sanitation Cans (Non-Robo Area)
- Containers may not have an attached lid (difficult to dump and lid may injure crew member).
- Containers may not be larger than 35 gallons.
- Garbage, refuse, or trash that does not contain any recyclable materials is to be placed in water-tight receptacles with tight fitting covers or watertight heavy-duty plastic bags which can be securely closed.
- Each receptacle or bag may not exceed 50 pounds in weight and should be placed at the curb/sidewalk area in a neat, orderly fashion according to local ordinances. Garbage bins are not permitted at any time.
- Receptacles or plastic bags should only be placed between curb/sidewalk area after 7 p.m. on the night prior to the scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 a.m. on the day of collection. All empty receptacles must be removed from the curb/sidewalk area by 9 p.m. on the collection day.