How can I obtain a vital record?
Per Governor's Executive Order 18, certified copies will only be issued if all the following criteria are met:
1. Complete an application (or send a letter) fully identifying the record with all pertinent information.
2. A certified copy of a vital record may only be issued to you, if you meet the relationship requirements per Executive Order 18 or pursuant to a Court Order.
3. A. Acceptable Identification, per NJ State regulations, is required.
Send a photo copy of Applicant's Identification, if applying by mail. (Applicant is the person requesting the record.)
A valid and current photo drivers license, or valid and current County ID is acceptable on its own. If you do not have either one, then you need TWO alternate forms of identification.
Please note that "valid and current" means with the address where you live at the time of your application and it cannot be beyond its expiration date. (See valid ID section)AND
B. Proof of your relationship to the subject of the record.
Example: For your parents or your sibling's vital record, you must provide a copy of your birth certificate with your parent's names on it.
Third Party Representation (Lawyers, Executors) or non-eligible persons must:
a. Provide legal documentation (Surrogate's Certificate, Court Order)OR
b. A notarized letter from the eligible person, allowing the certificate to be released to Third party. (Third party must present their acceptable, valid and current identification.)
4. The appropriate fee is paid. ($15.00 per copy) We accept cash, money order or check. Please make checks payable to "Township of Toms River."
5. If applying by mail, enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your written request specifying document being requested and applicable fee. Please note that incomplete applications received by mail will be returned.