HOURS FOR MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATIONS:
8:30 AM TO 11:45 AM OR 1:00 PM TO 3:45 PM
1) File for the license in the town where either APPLICANT is a resident.
a) If the APPLICANTS are not residents of the State of New Jersey, then you file in the town where the marriage/civil union is taking place. The license is then only good in that town.
b) Applicants and Witness need Valid Photo ID with current address on it, (NOT P.O. Box) to show proof of identity and where they are residents.
2) There is a 72 hour waiting period, from the time you make application for the marriage license/civil union until the time you can pick up the license. You do not have to pick up the license in 72 hours. You may leave it here until it is closer to your wedding date, but you are eligible to pick it up in 72 hours.
|Monday||after that time on||Thursday|
|Tuesday||after that time on||Friday|
|Wednesday||after that time on||Monday|
|Thursday||after that time on||Monday|
|Friday||after that time on||Monday/td>|
3) In order to apply the applicants and one witness over the age of 18 (that knows both of you) must appear before the Registrar.
4) We require Birth Certificates for proof of age. If you do not have your Birth Certificate, TWO other forms of ID with your date of birth on them are required. Other acceptable forms are: Driver's License, Passport, Baptism Paper.
5) If either one of you or both are divorced or have dissolved a civil union, we need to see the divorce papers or the dissolution of the civil union, with the FILED DATE AND DOCKET NUMBER on them. It must be the "FINAL DECREE" signed by the JUDGE.
6) If either one of you are a widow or widower we need to see the Death Certificate.
7) Any person UNDER THE AGE OF 18 needs parental consent papers signed by both parents. If under the age of 16 the parental consent must be signed by both parents and judge.
8) No license will be released from this office without the following information:
A) The intended date of the marriage/civil union.
B) The name and address of the person performing the marriage/civil union.
C) The place where the marriage/civil union is to take place.
9) The cost of the marriage license is $28.00.
10) A witness over 18 years of age with their valid, current photo ID with current address. (PO Box is not accepted.)
Minors who wish to marry must contact the Registrar's Office for specific information.
For any further information, please call 732-341-1000 ext. 8408.
AFTER THE MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION:
You must contact the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where your ceremony was performed in order to receive a certified, legal copy of your marriage/civil union license. This certificate is available a week to ten days after your marriage or civil union ceremony takes place. You will obtain your certified copies in the municipality where your ceremony occurred. If the ceremony took place in the Township of Toms River, the fee is $15.00 for each certified copy which you request. You will need to show photo identification with your current address on it.