Registrar Of Vital Statistics

33 Washington Street
Toms River, New Jersey 08753
(732) 341-1000, ext. 8408

Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 728,
Toms River, New Jersey 08754-0728


Office Hours:

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM


The Registrar of Vital Statistics is the keeper of birth, death, marriage records, domestic partnership records and civil union records, also referred to as “ vital records.” These vital records are confidential and not openly accessible to the public. As per State Law, the Registrar is limited as to who he or she can issue to. A Vital record can be obtained in the municipality where the event occurred. The eligibility and necessary requirements are contained below.

If you are only available during lunch time, please call our Office prior to coming in to see us. If there is only one Registrar working, the office may be closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 PM. The deadline is 11:45 AM in the morning or after 1:00 PM.

Requests for certified copies of vital records may be processed either in person at the above address, or the appropriate information, requirements and payment may be mailed to:

Toms River Registrar
Of Vital Statistics Office
P.O. Box 728
Toms River, NJ 08754

Please make check payable to "Toms River Township" and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with the request.


    ** Fee  increase  is effective 10/27/10 per
     BOH  Ord. 2010-1.  New fees listed below:


$15.00   for each certified copy of a vital record

$15.00   to file a correction request for a vital record

$28.00   to file a marriage/civil union/domestic partnership  application

Fees are payable only by cash, check or money order.

Please make checks payable to
“Township of Toms River”

For more information regarding Vital Records, please follow the link below, to the New Jersey Registrar of Vital Statistics website for information and/or questions not addressed herein:


Application For Certified Copy of Vital Record
Frequently Asked Questions 
Forms, Applications & Downloads

A valid & current photo drivers license is acceptable on its own. 

Please note that “valid & current” means with the address where you actually live, at the time of application; and current means prior to expiration date.   If you do not have a driver’s license  then you need:

TWO (2)  ALTERNATE FORMS  OF I.D. and at least one must  show the current address. 

Please review the list below, before you come into the office.
The State Registrar has ordered that only the following forms  may be accepted by this office.  

The applicant must show  TWO ALTERNATES from this  list:   


  • Valid  &  current non-photo, non-drivers license,  issued by NJDMV for identification purposes
  • Current Vehicle Registration
  • Current Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Resident Card  (Green card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • US Military ID
  • County ID
  • Current Year School ID
  • Utility Bill-not more than 90 days old
  • Bank Statement-not more than 90 days old
  • W-2 or tax return for current or previous year


People who are homeless or without any identification at all, but         have a social worker or homeless shelter coordinator, etc. may    have their social worker submit a request for them.  Please     contact the Office  for information on how they can assist clients        that need to obtain  necessary records.
People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment,    conviction papers or release documents  that include the name,      social security number and all possible aliases used in the past.       Also, a State Corrections staff member can submit an application along with the inmates’ face sheet, on the inmate’s behalf,        showing inmates name, date of birth, social security number and   all possible aliases used. 

        Please contact the office for further information.

Marriage license/civil union applicants should allow sufficient  time for   documentation to be reviewed by the staff during the process.

8:30 AM TO 11:45 AM    or     1:00 PM  TO 3:45 PM



        If the ceremony is in New Jersey:   The couple must apply
in the municipality where either the bride/groom or
partner A/partner B legally reside.   

If both reside outside of New Jersey:  They must apply in the municipality where the ceremony will occur. The license is only valid in that town.



        Two applicants  and one witness over the age of 18  must apply         in person, in the Registrar’s Office.  They need the required         identification, documentation and the $28.00 dollar fee.  They       should apply two weeks prior to the ceremony date. All         individuals need valid Photo ID with current  address        showing, to         establish proof of identity and residency.      

        *Please note a PO Box  is not acceptable on a driver license for a      marriage application.  Two alternate forms of ID will be required,    if there is a PO Box on the drivers       license. 

There is a State-mandated 72-hour waiting period, which begins once the application is completed and the fee is paid.  After the 72-hour waiting period, applicants may designate someone to pick up the license before their ceremony.   The individual will need to bring their identification and the application receipt. The license will only be released during regular business hours.

The license, once issued, will expire in thirty (30) days.  The license MUST be used prior to the expiration date, which is noted on the license or the marriage/civil union is not valid.



        Applicants must present the following, at the time of application:

Birth Certificates for proof of age.  If you do not have your Birth Certificate, TWO other forms of ID with your date of birth on them are required. Other acceptable forms are:  Driver’s License, Passport, Baptism Paper.

If either applicant, or both, are divorced or have dissolved a civil union, they must bring  divorce papers or the dissolution of the civil union, with the FILED DATE AND DOCKET NUMBER on them.  It must be the “FINAL DECREE” signed by the JUDGE.

If either applicant is a widow or widower, they need to bring  the Death Certificate(s) at the time of application.



Any person under 18 years of age MUST have  parental consent papers signed by both parents.  If under the age of 16, the parental consent must be signed by both parents and a Judge.

Minors who wish to marry must contact the Registrar’s Office for
specific information. 




Please contact the Registrar in the municipality where the ceremony was performed, in order to obtain the certified, legal copy of the license/certificate.  The license/certificate is available about a week to  ten days after the  marriage or civil union ceremony takes place. 

If the ceremony took place in the Township of Toms River, the fee is $15.00 for each certified copy.  The applicant must present ID, complete a request application and pay the fee to obtain certified copies of the license.   This may be done in person or by mail. (See “OBTAINING VITAL RECORDS”)


8:30 AM TO 11:45 AM OR 1:00 PM TO 3:45 PM

1) File for the license in the town where either APPLICANT is a resident.

a) If the APPLICANTS are not residents of the State of New Jersey, then you file in the town where the marriage/civil union is taking place. The license is then only good in that town.

b) Applicants and Witness need Valid Photo ID with current address on it, (NOT P.O. Box) to show proof of identity and where they are residents.

Read more: Marriage/Civil Union Application Requirements: 

How can I obtain a vital record?

Per Governor's Executive Order 18, certified copies will only be issued if all the following criteria are met:

1. Complete an application (or send a letter) fully identifying the record with all pertinent information.

2. A certified copy of a vital record may only be issued to you, if you meet the relationship requirements per Executive Order 18 or pursuant to a Court Order.

3. A. Acceptable Identification, per NJ State regulations, is required.

Send a photo copy of Applicant's Identification, if applying by mail. (Applicant is the person requesting the record.)

Read more: How Do I Obtain A Certified Copy Of A Birth, Marriage, Death, Civil Union Or Domestic Partnership...




Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 728,
Toms River, New Jersey 08754-0728
Town Hall located at:
33 Washington Street
Toms River, New Jersey 08753