Department of Public Works
1672 Church Road
Toms River, NJ 08753
Fax: (732) 255-0608
Louis Amoruso, Director
Anthony Benyola, Deputy Director
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Public Works Department is responsible for the collection of garbage, recycling and the maintenance of public roadways and storm drains. A fleet of trucks and equipment maintained at the Public Works garage enables us to provide these services. Public Works also has a Clean Communities Division funded through the State of New Jersey to help keep the roadsides clean. Other services include street sign installation, snow plowing, paving, leaf collection, brush collection, repair of township bulkheads and emergency response within the Township of Toms River.
Good news! Effective immediately, residents of Toms River can drop off electronics at the Toms River Township Recycling Convenience Center, 1672 Church Road, where they will be recycled and help save the environment.
Items accepted under this program are all TVs, computers towers, laptops, tablets, and all computer monitors (all sizes and types).
The recycling center is open 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Be sure to have ID with you showing that you reside in Toms River Township. Call 732-255-1000 ext. 8108 if you have any questions.
2018 Holiday Collection Schedule
The Department of Public Works OFFICE will be closed on all holidays as follows: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
In order to reduce holiday associated costs, garbage and recycling will not be picked up on any of these holidays EXCEPT on the Friday after Thanksgiving Day on November 23rd.
When a holiday falls on a Monday, all collections that week will occur one day later than your normal collection day. For holidays not occurring on a Monday, should the holiday fall on or before your collection day, the collection will be one day later than normal.
Thank you for your cooperation. Questions: Call 732-255-1000 ext. 8104.
This calendar is designed to help residents be current on all the services available from Public Works.
Regular weekly garbage collections are not indicated; however, holiday weeks resulting in a garbage collection day changes are noted. The full recycling schedule is detailed. Leaf and branch/tree trimmings collection schedules are listed for spring and fall. Special events that take place at Public Works such as the Health Department animal immunizations, Ocean County hazardous waste collection and paper shredding, etc. will be added as dates are available.
There are 8 different recycling routes (R1 through R8). Please note that recycling route R-1 includes parts of the mainland and also the barrier island including Pelican Island. During the summer the garbage and recycling schedules change for the Barrier Island and Pelican Island only. The mainland schedules do not change. These changes are noted on the calendar.
To check your recycling collection day, you must know the route number for your area. Don't know your recycling, garbage day?
Twice-a-week garbage collection (Monday and Thursday) for the Barrier Island, including Pelican Island, will begin the week of prior to Memorial Day and ends Labor Day. There will be no twice-a-week collections on the mainland. If you have any questions about your collection day call 732-255-1000 ext. 8101.
· Do not mix recyclables and garbage.
· Place containers at curbside by 6:30 a.m. & remove by 9:00 pm. of your collection day.
· Never mix hazardous materials with trash.
· The Township will not provide curbside pick up of construction/demolition debris.
Curbside Collections with Automated Garbage Collections (Robo Cans Areas)
· The Robo containers must be in the roadway with the wheels and hinge facing toward the house. No bags or trash should be placed outside of the Robo container.
· Robo containers should be placed a minimum of four feet away from vehicles, receptacles, or other objects in order to facilitate proper pickup by the mechanical equipment.
· Do not place anything in Robo can that will stick out and cause the lid not to shut.
· Please do not place anything on top of the Robo containers at any time.
· Households that generate more non-recyclable garbage than can be contained in one Robo container should consider purchasing an additional Robo container. Excess materials may be brought to the Recycling Convenience Center twice-a-month.
· Two additional sanitation Robo containers (for a total of three), can be purchased for $100 each, cash or checks only. Call 732-255-1000, extension 8188 for information. Township issued cans and cans purchased after 6/14/05 remain the property of Toms River Township and must stay at the address to which they are assigned. Robo trucks cannot lift commercially purchased cans properly. They are too small for the grabber. They are too flimsy and they slip and/or get damaged by the truck. Neither the Township nor the Department will be responsible for damage which may occur to privately purchased garbage cans. Department employees will maintain Robo cans issued by the Department at no cost to residents. If can is lost or stolen, it is the resident's responsibility to pay for a replacement can.
Sanitation Cans (Non-Robo Area):
· Containers may not have an attached lid (difficult to dump and lid may injure crewmember).
· Containers may not be larger than 35 gallons.
· Garbage, refuse, or trash that does not contain any recyclable materials is to be placed in water-tight receptacles with tight fitting covers or watertight heavy-duty plastic bags which can be securely closed.
· Each receptacle or bag may not exceed 50 pounds in weight and should be placed at the curb/sidewalk area in a neat, orderly fashion according to local ordinances. Garbage bins are not permitted at any time.
· Receptacles or plastic bags should only be placed between curb/sidewalk area after 7:00 p.m. on the night prior to the scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 a.m. on the day of collection. All empty receptacles must be removed from the curb/sidewalk area by 9:00 p.m. on the collection day.