-Do your research on the contractor.

-Be sure the contractor is a licensed professional with many years of experience in home elevation, specifically. Anyone can purchase the equipment needed, so be sure that the contractor has the right experience.

-To verify that your contractor is licensed with the State, go online to access the elevation contractor list:



or directly onto the State website at www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ and do a licensee search.


From the drop down menu, select:

•             Profession: Home Improvement Contractor

•             License Type: Home Elevation Contractor


-If the contractor has a website, look for “before” and “after” photos.

-Make sure the contractor has the specific machines necessary to move your type of house, such as a “unified jacking machine.”

-Make sure Elevation Contractor has Cargo/Riggers Liability Insurance for the contents of your home, as well as at least $1,000,000 in liability insurance.

-The company can be from out of state, but they must have a NJ contractor’s license.

-Get several estimates and check references.

-Have a detailed, written contract in place before starting any work.

-Never pay in cash or put out a lot of money upfront.

-Make sure you get a permit for the work.  You may lose your insurance money without proper permits or have a "Stop Work" order put in place.

-The Toms River Building Dept. can help you with any questions regarding the proper steps to raise a structure.







Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 728,
Toms River, New Jersey 08754-0728
Town Hall located at:
33 Washington Street
Toms River, New Jersey 08753