There are two separate and distinct property tax relief programs available to New Jersey homeowners.
Property Tax Reimbursement Program
This program is commonly known as the TAX FREEZE. It is designed to freeze the burden of increasing real estate taxes for qualified applicants by establishing a base year of eligibility, comparing that base year with any subsequent year and refunding the difference to the eligible homeowner. Eligibility must be continuous otherwise a new base year would have to be established.
Qualifications are as follows:
1. Must make application to the State annually;
2. Homeowners must be age 65 or older or receiving Federal Social Security Disability Benefits who paid property taxes on their PRINCIPAL RESIDENCE in New Jersey. Age requirements apply to the base year as well as the application year;
3. Applicant must be a NJ resident for at least 10 years and living in their current home for the last 3 or more years;
4. Must meet income limits as set by the State annually. Income limits apply to the base year as well as the application year;
5. Property taxes must be paid in full by December 31st each year. Failure to pay property taxes within the year due disqualifies the applicant. A new application would have to be filed the following year that would establish a new base year.
Application booklets are mailed out by the State in late January each year. Application booklets may also be available at the Tax Collector's office beginning in mid March.
For further information or to request an application, please contact the State of New Jersey at 1-800-882-6597 or visit the State of NJ website at www.state.nj.us/taxation/
Homestead type rebates are sent by the State of New Jersey for qualified home owners on their primary residence. The qualifications, income limitations and amounts of the rebates vary and are determined by the State each year. In a few cases your income tax return establishes eligibility; however in most cases an application is required. Applications when required are sent by the State usually in the spring. For information on Homestead type of rebates or to determine eligibility please call the State of New Jersey at 1-888-238-1233; you may email homestead rebate questions to the State at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/homestead/geninf.shtml or you may visit the State website at www.state.nj.us/taxation/